Sunday, November 4, 2007

It's All the Same

Today I decided to break from my usual trend of searching the Washington Post or New York Times for election stories. Instead, I looked at the Minneapolis Star Tribune because I used to read their Sunday paper when I was in high school.

And what did I find?

The exact same story as story I would have read on nytimes.com, except written by an Associated Press writer. Humph. Media convergence, how I hate thee. But anyway, I suppose Fred Thompson's woes are the same no matter who's writing about them.

The Republican Presidential nominee want to be, has some excuses up his sleeve regarding the criminal past of one of his advisers, though he refused to "throw [his] friend under the bus" for a poor choice made decades ago.

The Washington Post -- yes, the newspaper I refused my diligence to this afternoon -- broke the story today that a co-chairman of Thompson's campaign, has a criminal record for drug dealing. Philip Martin, plead guilty to the sale of 11 pounds of marijuana in 1979 and then was charged for violating probation in 1983 with multiple counts of bookmaking, cocaine trafficking and conspiracy.

Thompson maintains that Martin is a good friend and has paid his debt to society. He underscores that none of the illegal actions have been tied to the campaign and are in no way going to impact his campaign's future or the future of his friendship with Martin.

I'm not exactly sure what I think about this issue. While I certainly don't think I want my "future president" to rub elbows with drug lords, I also understand that no one is perfect. Everyone may have a blemish or two on their resumé but I'm not one to take federal offenses lightly.

No comments: