Monday, November 26, 2007

Ethics and Online Schtuff

This week's reading began with the sidebar about the ethical issues journalists deal with on a daily basis. These include: responsibility, freedom of the press, independence, sincerity accuracy and truthfulness, impartiality, fair play and decency. It's hard to pin-point which of these should be considered the most important because they all whole weight in ethical decision-making. I do feel, however, that sincerity, accuracy and truthfulness should probably take precedent. "Good faith with the reader is the foundation of all journalism worthy of the name," according to the textbook and it seems that without these principles the entire essences of journalism is lost.

The text book defines principled reasoning as the paramount element in journalism ethics. I can't agree more. I've been told that I have a "good head on my shoulders." Whatever weight that holds I pride myself on being someone who others come to for advice. Only through sound decision making is it possible to decide on the moral way to act. However, some decisions are difficult to make no matter how grounded a person is in ethical theories and principles.

Ultimately, journalists should be concerned with protecting the First Amendment. The Bill of Rights sets our nation apart from most other countries in the world. I feel that the First Amendment protects journalists but they also hold significant responsibility to the citizens and the government. Deceit, conflicts of interest, invasion of privacy and withholding information are all issues that journalist struggle with.

It's easy to say that journalism is completely free from outside influence, however it's completely untrue. Maybe in the utopia of journalism outside influences are avoided but in today's profit-driven media it's impossible. I'm not saying that advertising should be removed from journalism. Nope, I'm quite certain that I'd like the be paid someday, but when ads start interfering with content there is a problem.

I guess I didn't realize that freebies and checkbook journalism were as present as they are before this reading. Obviously freebies interfere with the principle of objectivity and checkbook journalism should be avoided whenever possible. I can't say, however, that I'm willing to give up my LIFE for my job. I don't plan to become an avid crusader or politician after becoming a journalist. I DO plan to continue speaking to my friends, family and going to church after graduation. I understand that journalism doesn't really end when you clock out for the day and likewise, my life cannot be put on hold for my career. Each should balance and add to the other.

As for the internet readings, I kind of enjoyed them. Everyone keeps saying that convergence is paramount in journalism. I like the idea of being able to put together an on-line slide show or make packages that are longer than one minute. It's exciting, especially since I was always more drawn to the visual side of story-telling than the writing aspect.

Hopefully, I will be able to continue learning about online journalism. The readings really made the point that EVERYONE is still learning about online journalism, and I think that's part of the fun.

No comments: