Sunday, December 9, 2007

Political Coverage in the 2000s.

When I think of political coverage, a little part of me winces. One, I’m not a politics buff. While I understand the importance of government in my life and vote whenever I can, I’m not likely to pay attention to politics in the media. I don’t read that section of the paper or give the TV my full attention when a story comes on about so-and-so’s scandal.

Two, I hate the way that media coverage polarizes people. I understand that we live in a diverse country that fosters different points of view. However, I feel that the media searches out tiffs between politicians to make news. The media certainly tread a fine line in deciding what’s newsworthy and politics is one area that they can take an angle a day and still call it quits. Fox News currently features the section online about whether religious values matter to voters when it comes to 2008 Presidential Candidate Nominees. While I can understand that this may be an issue in the campaign, I don't like the way that it was covered. Somehow I don't see how a topic like this is a good choice for a video package. Not only is the topic kind of fluffy, any type of visual portrayal would render itself stereotypical or overly dramatic.

One element about present coverage I do like is the ability to present each politician’s platform simultaneously using the internet. Just today, The Washington Post featured a “Choose your Candidate” feature on the first page of the politics section. This platform comparison tool could be very helpful for voters. When information is presented in a logical way voters can make a more informed decision.

Finally, I can't help but note the role of celebrity and infotainment that is seeping into political coverage. Politicians are public figures, of course. They are not, however, supposed to be glorified and media-made superstars. (They may try, however to use the media to their benefit...nothing like free advertising, right?)

Consider CNN's coverage of Oprah and Obama's campaign tour from this week. The writing practically deems to the pair to be political soul mates and presents Winfrey's admiration for the politician without the slightest reality check. She may love Obama, and to be perfectly honest he's starting to win me over, but I don't want the NEWS section of the paper or of a news broadcast to read like an advertisement. There's already enough of that to annoy me.

No comments: